Garden is a place where one can relax and unwind. It can instantly reconnect you with nature even if you are living in the middle of the Atlanta city. The beauty of a garden is best appreciated under the bright sunshine. However, this beauty doesn’t have to cease to existing come sundown. The best way to keep enjoying your garden even at night time is to install outdoor lighting.
Outdoor lighting allows you to continue to make use of your garden at night. People working until the wee hours of the evening will now be able to enjoy their garden. Once you light it at night, you will be surprised that you have another beautiful room in your house!
There are things to consider when you decide to install outdoor lighting to your garden. Here are some of them.
Get to know your garden
Walk around your garden and identify the spots that you would like to highlight. It could be a sculpture or one of your plants. It is best to draw a sketch so you can visualize how you want to illuminate your garden. It will also help to list down all the plants and decors in your garden. [You can find some great ideas – here]
Set your budget
You need to check your resources, especially your budget before you start executing your plan. You need help of licensed electrician who can handle electric repair to install the necessary wiring for your lighting set up.
If you do not have a big budget yet, you may opt for solar backyard lights. They do not have any wire that you need to set up. You just have to ensure that the lights are set up in a way that the solar panels can get ample sunlight in the morning to recharge the lights.
Choose the type of light and design
The most economical light are LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes). This kind of light is even programmable. Another option is a reflector light (Halogen), but it costs more to operate.
You can install the lights in different ways to achieve the desired lighting effect. Here are some of the designs.
- Uplighting – Light is directed upward to highlight a feature. This is usually used to highlight trees.
- Downlights – These are the most common lights design we see. The light is installed at a high level to illuminate the object below.
- Spotlights – These are lights fixed in one object. You can use this if you have a décor or plant that you wish to highlight.
- Path lights – These are used to illuminate the pathways. It looks better than just switching regular light bulbs.
- Surface lights – These are lights installed into walls, decks, step surfaces and the ground.
- Wall lights – These are used to illuminate the walls for security.
The effort required for this would depend on the size of your garden. If your garden is too big, it will be better to seek the service of professional landscapers that can advise you on the best lighting for your garden.